Wednesday, August 31, 2011

We're back in Loma Linda hospital

You've been miserable and so lethargic. I kept telling myself that maybe you just needed more time to get better after all you did just have major surgery. You were either asleep, or crying, or crying while asleep, and your mouth was constantly dry and flaky.

I didn't want to be one of those mothers that freak over nothing but I just felt like something wasn't right.

I told Dad this morning that I missed you. I felt like I haven't seen you since Friday morning.

I had read how the medicine your were on for your heart, Inderol, could make you sleepy and I knew the diuretic your are on could dehydrate you so I made an appointment to see Dr Kwasman, your pediatrician.

After thinking about it I realized that Dr. Kwasman wouldn't be able to change any of your medication without speaking to Dr Bailey so figured I might as well try and get you to see him instead.

I called the heart center and described your symptoms and they asked us to bring you in as soon as possible.

Another call to Aunt JJ to rescue us and watch Pierce and Dad and I were off to Loma Linda.

At the heart center they were reviewing all you symptoms and trying to think of what could be responsible for you feeling so bad. I opened you shirt to show them how you were breathing and when they got one look at your incision and next thing you know you were getting admitted.

I had seen a little bit of redness around your incision site and was planning on showing it to Dr Kwasman but I honestly don't know how it got so bad.

It took 7 tries to get your IV started. The truth is you were feeling so bad you hardly noticed. The plan is for you to get a PICC line since you will be on antibiotics for a while. When they took your temperature it was 101.3.

After being on the IV for only and hour you were already feeling so much better. You were awake and looking around and started sucking on your wash cloth again. They also held your Lasix and I think that had a lot to do with you feeling better.

For a while you were even playing with the red light from the pulse Ox on your toe. It brought tears to my eyes. It's the first time I have seen even a glimpse of you since Friday before your surgery.

The Dr said they will have to open up your incision and drain it. Boy I am not looking forward to that.

You are for now fast asleep. The first restful sleep you've had in a while

I'm at your bedside till 2 when your Dad will take over and stay so I can get a few hours of sleep and be back at your bedside before the Dr's start coming in tomorrow.

I'm so glad I finally listened to my instinct and brought you in. I'm just mad at myself that I didn't do something sooner.

The Dr said we will be here for at least 48 hrs. As much as I don't want to be back here I'm just looking forward to you finally starting to feel better.


dxeechick said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm sorry you're back there, but I'm really glad Mason is starting to feel better! Hang in there Mama

ellen charge said... Best Blogger Tips

i thought hed gone home jsut a bit to quick hope they r letting u stay now

Denise said... Best Blogger Tips

Sending you lots and lots of prayers.